Steve was the Executive Partner of the Johannesburg office of international law firm White & Case LLP. Prior to joining White & Case in 1999, Steve was a partner in the corporate practice at Deneys Reitz (now Norton Rose Fulbright) and before that a partner at Cliffe Dekker & Todd (now Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr). He now practices in his family owned law firm with his wife Felicity under the name D’Arcy-Herrman Raney.
Steve has over 30 years’ experience in legal practice. He practices in local and cross-border mergers and acquisitions (M&A), capital markets and private equity, corporate governance, banking and finance, mining, energy and environmental law. For many years he has achieved consistent international recognition for outstanding work in M&A, environmental and energy law.
Steve has a strong personal interest in corporate environmental law and has done much of the ground-breaking work in regard to the commercialisation of state-owned nature conservation assets as well as the development of the eco-tourism market in South and southern Africa. Steve is a recent recipient of the WESSA 90 Lifetime Achiever Award for his contribution to the environment.
Steve is currently on a flexible retainer to a World Bank sponsored programme to assist the Project Advisory Unit of the Southern African Power Pool, currently working on two hydro-electric projects, one in Mozambique and another in Zambia and an interconnector between the DRC and Zambia.
Selected Relevant Professional Highlights:
- Representation of Investec Bank Limited (Private Equity Division) in the introduction of a Black Economic Empowerment partners in NCP Chlor Alkali Holdings from Sentrachem Ltd.
- Represented the sponsors including Jidong Development and CADFund, in a joint venture to build a US$221 million cement plant in South Africa. The project represents one of China’s largest foreign direct investments in South Africa to date
- Represented Life Healthcare on its US$680 million initial public offering (IPO) on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE). Also represented Mondi Packaging and the Royal Bafokeng on their IPO’s.
- Represented Chlor-Alkali Holdings (a South African chemical manufacturer) in connection with the purchase of a 50 percent shareholding in Botswana Ash (Pty) Ltd, a Botswana soda ash company, from outgoing shareholders Anglo American, De Beers Botswana, AECI, FirstRand Bank, Nedbank and Standard Bank.
- Advised Mittal Steel, formerly LNM, on the acquisition and subsequent control of Iscor Limited, now known as Mittal South Africa Limited.
- Advised iSimangliso Wetland Park Authority concerning the GEF Grant for the rehabilitation of St. Lucia Estuary.
- Reviewed the Jamaican Protected Areas Trust Limited debt swap with the Government of Jamaica and the Nature Conservancy.
- Advised on and prepared partnership, management and traversing agreements for Thornybush Game Reserve.
- Advised Mpumalanga Parks Board in connection with various nature based conservation issues including the structuring of partial privatisation of certain reserves, management of mining activities within nature areas and lease agreements relating to the settlement of communities in the Blyde River Canyon Nature Reserve.
- Advised on the acquisition of a number of Welgevonden Game Reserve properties and the application for a road closure to consolidate the Kapama and Thornybush Game Reserves.
- Advised Londolozi with regard to timesharing in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve.
- Advised the Warthog Wallow Trust (landowners of Sabi-Sabi) on the ongoing relationship between them and an eco-tourism operator, and on aspects of the constitution of the Sabi Sand Game Reserve.
- Established the African Gamebird Reserve and Educational Development Trust in Namibia.
- Prepared pre-paid accommodation agreements for The Conservation Corporation Limited.
- Advised on the restructuring of the Save Valley Conservancy in Zimbabwe.
- Advised Marakele Park (Pty) Ltd about co-management arrangements with SANParks.
- Advised Thintswalo (Pty) Ltd on aspects of the assignment of the management of Manyaleti to Mpumalanga from Limpopo.
- Advised the Peace Parks Foundation about institutional management arrangements in Southern Zambia.
- Advised the Peace Parks Foundation about contractual arrangements for the management of distressed animals in the Lowveld.
- DEAT: Assisting DEAT in preparing the Protected Areas Bill and the optimum structure and process for establishing national parks in Blyde Canyon and Pondoland.
- DEAT: Assisting DEAT in the CAPE project and including Baviaanskloof with a view to the possible establishment of a floral kingdom in the form of a World Heritage Site.
- Phalaborwa SDI:Advised the DBSA and the Northern Province Government in respect of concessioning opportunities for eco‑tourism projects in the Manyeleti Game Reserve.
- Advised Eastern Cape Tourism and Parks Board about institutional arrangements concerning various proposed PPP eco-tourism projects in the Eastern Cape.
- Advising DACE on the establishment of the Dinokeng Game Reserve
- Advised the Government of the Northern Province and the Development Bank of South Africa as outside legal counsel in connection with the commercialisation of the Manyeleti Game Reserve and the Letaba Ranch Game Reserve.
- Advised the South African National Parks on the partial commercialisation of nine concession areas in various parks in South Africa and is now assisting South African National Parks in the second phase of the commercialisation process involving further concessions and the outsourcing of all the restaurants and shops in the national parks system.
- Advised South African National Parks on various operational contracts, including IT and transport outsourcing, anti-poaching unit contracts and disease free buffalo contract.
- Advising the iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority on the entire commercialisation process for the iSimangaliso Wetland Park and have a retainer for iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority on an indefinite basis.
- Department of Environmental Affairs: Advised the Department and drafted the Regulations for the Proper Administration of Special Nature Reserves, National Parks and World Heritage Sites for the National Environmental Management; Protected Areas Act.
- Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism: Advised the South African Government (Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism) on the World Heritage Convention Act, drafted the Act and the Regulations.
- Lubombo Spatial Development Initiative: Advised the Governments of South Africa, Swaziland and Mozambique and drafted the protocols in relation to the proposed Transfrontier Park.
- iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority: Advising the Authority on an ongoing basis in regard to the interpretation and implementation of the World Heritage Convention Act and drafted proposed amendments and changes to the recently promulgated 4X4 regulations concerning beach driving.
- Department of Agriculture, Conservation, Environment and Land Affairs: Advising Gauteng Province’s Department of Agriculture, Conservation, Environment and Land Affairs on the Bill for the Protection and Management of the Fossil Hominid Sites of Sterkfontein, Swartkrans, Kromdraai and Environs.
- Advising SANParks and drafting the delegation of authority in respect of the transfer of management of certain State forests from DWAF to SANParks.
- DEAT: Assisting DEAT in the drafting and preparation of the Regulations in respect of the three World Heritage Sites, namely: Cradle of Humankind; Robben Island; and Ukhahlamba – Drakensberg
- A., Stellenbosch University, Cape Province, 1980
- B., Stellenbosch University, Cape Province, 1982
- Higher Diploma in Tax Law, University of the Witwatersrand, 1992
- Attorney, Notary and Conveyancer
BARS AND COURTS
- Admitted as an attorney and conveyancer of the High Court of South Africa, 1985
- Admitted as a notary of the High Court of South Africa, 1987
- Member of the Law Society of South Africa
- The Wildlife and Environment Society of South Africa (September 1990 to 2002) Director and Vice-President.
- Honorary Life Member of WESSA
- Bushpigs Environmental Education Company (NPC) Director
- Trustee of the St Johns College Foundation
- Member of the St Johns College Council
- Assessor: Land Claims Court
- Trustee PPC Environmental Trust (1996-2001)
- Director of numerous private companies and trustee of numerous family trusts